On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:42:14 -0800
civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >On 7 Apr 2002, Ric Tibbetts wrote:
> >
> >>All;
> >>Ok, not exactly on topic, but I'm hoping that someone here will know
> >>this one.
> >>
> >>I'm trying to play DVD's with xine. It plays mpegs ok, but I get the
> >>following error on DVDs:
> >>
> >>There is no available plugin to handle
> >>    dvd://video_ts.vob
> >>

> >>I've checked the home page for xine looking for answers, an found
> >>nothing. Can someone point me to an answer for this?
> >>

> >Since you posted this I'm assuming that you found the other pages to the
> >different demuxers. I'm curious as to what sort of performance you're
> >getting and what are your hardware specs. My laptop has a P/400 but
> >video is too jerky to be watchable. It runs fine on an Athlon 900
> >though.

> >Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> >Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
> >
> To the original question:
>
> Xine does not have a decoder for the Content Scrambling System because
> MPAA won't license any open-source decoder.  If you look around the web
> with the search key "DeCSS"  you will learn about greedy corporations,
> bought and paid-for laws, and the fact that LinDVD is unavailable except
> to OEMs for hardware-specific cases, and that PowerDVD just doesn't work
> that well.
>
> Either buy a decoder card (the Dxr2 from Creative is supported) or make
> a decision to be an outlaw and download the source for DeCSS and compile
> it as a plug-in for Xine or abandon the idea of playing encrypted DVDs.

For an outlaws view on libdvdcss.
I have dled, built, and installed libdvdcss to use with ogle.
My understanding of the law is that it is illegal to distribute DeCSS
as a program, but that it is not illegal to offer the source code but even were it to
be I would still have little qualm using it.

I am using it to play in Linux DVDs I purchased on a system for which I purchased the
dvd drive and the graphics card.
The graphics card was bundled with a 'licensed' soft DVD player.
Simply because I choose to play the DVD in linux rather than in windows
my feelings are that the 'license' covers this system, regardless of the OS I run or
the player I use.

> PowerDVD, a system for windows, I have tried.  It is licensed by MPAA,
> and on a 1G Athlon with 256M RAM and a good interface, it still gave
> jerky motion.  PowerDVD for linux does not appear to work at all.

PowerDVD is not very good even on a faster system nor is the HollywoodMagic decoder
card much better.
The best player I have seen is that which ATI ships with their vid card, it rivals
that of a DVD player and in linux ogles performance is on that same level.

To get a little better understanding of DeCSS
http://vialink.com.br/~jcastro/decss/info.html

It not too long, boring, or dry and gives and overview of the situation.

    Charles