On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 06:54:55PM -0700, Sevatio wrote:
> What is the purpose of "soundwrapper"?  For example, the Kmenu has
> [soundwrapper xmms] as a command to run Xmms.  Why not just "xmms" as a
> command?
KDE uses arts daemon to share sound card.
If any application opens a sound device, it usually blocks other
applications from using it. Arts is KDE's workaround for this.
KDE applications and other arts-aware programs can play sound through
arts which accepts multiple sounds to be played at once.
For non-arts programs, soundwrapper is provided which tries to emulate
standard sound devices for the program using arts.
I currently dont run KDE and last time I tried it the warapper was named
astswrapper I think. But this is probably the reason.

--
        Michal Suchanek
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]