lorne wrote:

> I just found out that I won a 4 processor 200mhz pentium Pro server
> with 1 gig of ram in it.We had some old equipment we are phasing out
> at work and we drew straws who gets what.
>
> Old, but more than sufficient for my playing around. I've never looked
> into mult processing with Linux. I know it is possible. Is it possible
> with Mandrake? It is an old ALR, so dunno about other compatibility
> issues. I know it has 1 or 2 raid controllers in it. DTP or something
> like that I hear.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Sounds like a beastly server or multiprocessing machine or a super node
for a supercomputing cluster.

I found two Compaq Professional Workstation 5000 series at a local
Charity store which had been picked by thieves, and on the day of the
month when everything was 50% off I bought both.  One had a dead mobo
and was missing the CD and had 128M RAM.  The other had a dead power
supply and was missing the SCSI HDD and had 32Mb of RAM.  Between them I
picked up working Matrox Mystique 220 and an old ELSA 3D PCI card.  One
processor was loose in one case anfd the working Mobo had the processor
1 ZIF zocket lever missing.

I found two PPro 200 512K cache matched step processors and put them in,
jammong the faulty ZIF socket shut, put together one working machine
with an IDE, a SCSI-3 drive and a DVD (turned out the CD was a DVD)
drive, dropped in Mandrake 8.2 installed and did not even get asked if I
wanted the UP or SMP kernel.  I added a UP boot later so I can run on
one processor in case my technique of closing the damage ZIF socket
proves faulty, but it came up with SMP kernel from the install and was
happily running both processors.  My RAID was a software RAID0 between
the SCSI-3 and an IDE drive, just to see if I could stress the comp and
its filesystems.

Everything is still working and the speed is better than my K6-2 350.

Hmph!  It was disappointingly easy.

Civileme