The Mandrake 8.2 docs say I need fresh copies of /boot/System.map and
/boot/vmlinuz after completing my custom kernel and module compilation.

But what about these files?
/boot/config   should I point this to a copy of the .config file I used for this
new kernel?

/boot/initrd.img  under what circumstances would I *not* need to mkinitrd for my
new kernel?

/boot/kernel.h  do I need a copy of my new one, from
/usr/src/linux/include/config/boot?

any others?

which of the above files affect LILO, such that I would need to rerun it?

If any of the above is necessary, why wasn't it mentioned in the docs?

Thanks,
Phil R Lawrence