On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Phil R Lawrence wrote:

> The Mandrake 8.2 docs say I need fresh copies of /boot/System.map and
> /boot/vmlinuz after completing my custom kernel and module compilation.

An incorrect System.map may give errors on boot. It *probably* (!?)
won't cause a boot failure though.

> But what about these files?
> /boot/config   should I point this to a copy of the .config file I used for this
> new kernel?

Not doing so won't cause problems.

> /boot/initrd.img  under what circumstances would I *not* need to mkinitrd for my
> new kernel?

If you have your filesystem drivers built statically into the kernel
(i.e., SCSI, IDE, ext3, reiserfs) then you generally do not need an
initrd image. I generally opt *not* to use one.

> /boot/kernel.h  do I need a copy of my new one, from
> /usr/src/linux/include/config/boot?

This is recreated on boot via the /etc/rc.d/init.d/kheader script.

> any others?
>
> which of the above files affect LILO, such that I would need to rerun it?

If your kernel image changes you'll need to rerun lilo (vmlinux,
bzImage). The others shouldn't make a difference. Of course, if you
change your kernel image you'll need to regen your initrd.

> If any of the above is necessary, why wasn't it mentioned in the docs?

Which docs were you referring to?