> But best is to download XOSL from http://www.xosl.org, put it on a
> floppy, and install it.  It is free.   When it is running, ^P will
> bring up the Ranish Partition Manager which will show you exactly what
> is illegal (marked in red) about your partition table(s), and lead you
> through the repair process.   Very simple.

I went and looked at the XOSL online manual ... it was mainly concerned with
its primary function as boot loader and didn't mention its partition tool
that I could see.  I guess when I install it I will just get to its
partition tool and I'll be able to figure it out from there....

Will I have to go on and use its boot loader once I straighten up the
partition table?  (I'm guessing I can just cancel out / reboot and go back
to my Mandrake/lilo install ...)

Am I right in assuming once I correct the boot sector/partition table I will
have to reformat and reload the existing primary partition windows 98?

Thanks for your advice.