dbota wrote:

> > But best is to download XOSL from http://www.xosl.org, put it on a
> > floppy, and install it.  It is free.   When it is running, ^P will
> > bring up the Ranish Partition Manager which will show you exactly what
> > is illegal (marked in red) about your partition table(s), and lead you
> > through the repair process.   Very simple.
>
> I went and looked at the XOSL online manual ... it was mainly concerned with
> its primary function as boot loader and didn't mention its partition tool
> that I could see.  I guess when I install it I will just get to its
> partition tool and I'll be able to figure it out from there....

The optional Ranish PM is a late addition to xosl and may not yet be
documented.
Ranish is executed by hitting ^P from a running xosl, so you must
install xosl.

> Will I have to go on and use its boot loader once I straighten up the
> partition table?  (I'm guessing I can just cancel out / reboot and go back
> to my Mandrake/lilo install ...)

No, just uninstall (an option of install) xosl if you don't want it.
Ranish will disappear as well.  Ranish is downloadable by itself from
the Ranish web site:
http://www.ranish.com/part/  Do a google search on Ranish for lots of
information and download opportunities.

> Am I right in assuming once I correct the boot sector/partition table I will
> have to reformat and reload the existing primary partition windows 98?

No.  Everthing whose partition has not been corrected by Ranish should
still run.

Fear not!  Just play around with it without making stupid decisions
and you will quickly appreciate its great value.

--
Ron. [au]