Alastair Scott wrote:

> On Monday 06 May 2002 3:21 pm, David Rankin wrote:
>
> > DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN "BUY A NEW VIDEO CARD"
> >
> > I guess the real question is "what changed in the I128 sever between
> > 4.01 and 4.2?" 4.01 is still working fine in LM7.2 on the same
> > machine. X4.2 or X3.3.6 will not start under LM8.2 on the same
> > machine.
> >
> > Out of answers, probably spent 30 hours digging into this and I
> > really, really need help.....
>
> There's your answer - buy a new video card. Even assuming that your time
> is costed at US minimum wage levels you could probably have bought 2 or
> 3 perfectly good video cards by now for the (notional) cost of the time
> expended!
>
> Alastair

David,

Unfortunately, I think you have got about the only advise the list is
able to render: there are try an earlier version of XFree86 and/or try
another video card. I once had a video card that had a supported chipset
(I forget what the hell the card was now, and maybe it was a sound
card), but unfortunately the maker of this card did not use a standard
implementation of the chipset on their card. The bottom line was,
although the chipset was listed as supported, I could never get it to
work. I tossed it into that large stack of unused hardware that has
become large due to this very reason.

Good luck, and do let us know what you find for a work around.

Dr John,
The Night Tripper

--
J. Craig Woods