On Mon, 06 May 2002 12:19:35 -0500
David Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, that's a possibility. I thought about rpm -e <all Xfree and X11> packages
> and then rpm -Uvh <all the same> packages from the LM7.2 distro. I just was
> really interested in understanding the problem in 4.2 and seeeing if it could be
> fixed before I went back to 4.01.

Since previously trying to assist you I too have been puzzled with the problem you are
having in 8.2

Since I do not have the same vid card I can not test or verify the conclusion I have
reached, none the less I believe it to be true.

With X-3.3.6 the i128 driver is installed as a separate pkg XFree86-i128-3.3.6 but in
both 8.1 and 8.2 the i128 should have been  pre-built and and included as a module in
the kernel.
It appears that this module is not being loaded or not being loaded when it needs to
be.

Try running modprobe i128_drv.0 and then start X.(That is the fullname, it may need to
be entered as simply i128).

You could also try installing XFree86-i128-4.2.0.
The only rpm of this I was able to find is an i386 from Conectiva so I do not know if
it would even work with mdk 8.2.
Alternatively you could try the CVS repository at XFree.org.

    Charles