Mike,
   It may be working like the integrated sound on my mobo I had to
go into BIOS and turn off the sound TWICE (in too different
locations that's why the caps) in order to get it working.  Even
though Linux recognized the sound card it wouldn't let my SBLive!
work until I did this.  Now here is the funny part.  Even though
sound is turned off in BIOS both cards work.  Just that when it's
turned on the pci one doesn't.  Also look to see if it's set up for
AGP video only.  This may also be the case.

James