On Thu, 9 May 2002 14:32:48 -0500
Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     As a footnote, I don't recommend usin newer kernels unless you
> also either monitor the cooker ML, or at least check it's recent
> archive. OTOH, newer cooker kernels are usually much better than the
> kernels shipped with 'release' versions, specially ML8.2, and
> specially tryin to use vanilla source from kernel.org.  I suspect
> this is for compatibility over a wide range of hardware,
> configurations, and users.  YMMV ;)
>
>      Also, from lurking on the cooker list, compiling the latest
> kernels with <= gcc 3.04 seems to be an expected problem.  I didn't
> have any usin ML8.2's gcc 2.96.

Just to put in my $10 worth (I'm expensive).

Since I believe 2418-8 the kernels have been compiled with gcc-3.0.4
but this will shortly change to gcc-3.10 which as of yesterday is the default compiler
having now obsoleted gcc-2.9.6

There now exist Major differences between 8.2 and Cooker: gcc, Gnome2, New alsa, etc,
making most Cooker rpms and even src rpms incompatible with earlier versions of
Mandrake.

Unless possessed of the knowledge and expertise comparable to that acquired by Tom
most users would be best served by strictly avoiding
usage of Any cooker pkg.

    Charles