On Saturday 11 May 2002 04:55 am, Bjarne Thomsen wrote:
> Thank you Tom,
>
> That was the kind of answer that I hoped for.
> I just took a quick look at the README file,
> and cut out all the many words. I then made
> a file from where I copied the lines by using
> my mouse. I did not dare to include the "make install".
> Yes, you are right. The number of lines can be cut
> down to about half.
>
> I have installed the new gcc-3.1 compiler as the default
> gcc without too many difficulties. I have now compiled
> the 2.4.18-16 enterprise kernel minus SMP, and for
> Pentium4. I used "make menuconfig" as "make xconfig"
> seems to be broken (see below).
     see way down below ;)
> I am not sure, however, that any specific P4 code was
> generated. Here is my shorter recipe:
   It should have been if you edited this line in .config
    # CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 is not set
to  CONFIG_MPENTIUM4=y     and then commented out whatever the
default arch was (eg,   # CONFIG_M586 is not set)
    Also during the compile you should'a seen a lot of lines here'n
there with  -march=P4  in 'em. (not sure it'd be P4, I don't have
one, but you get the idea. Mine read  -march=athlon   ;)

> Procedure for compiling the kernel:
>
> (1) cd /usr/src/linux
> (2) "make mrproper" in case we start from scratch.
  Not 'in case we start from scratch', _always_

> (3) cp /boot/config-2.4.18-16mdkenterprise /usr/src/linux/.config
 Could shorten to 'cp /boot/config-2.4.18-16mdkenterprise .config'
since you're already in /usr/src/linux/

> (4) edit .config followed by "make oldconfig" or "make menuconfig"
> (5) "EXTRAVERSION = -16P4" in /usr/src/linux/Makefile
> (6) "export INSTALL_PATH=/boot" in /usr/src/linux/Makefile
> (7) "make dep && make bzImage && make modules"
> (8) "make modules_install && make install"
> (9) inspect /boot and /etc/lilo.conf, and run lilo (to be sure).

    5&6 are one step, 7&8 could be all one step, 9 is optional but
recommended, So we're really down to just 6 steps + check needed to
compile a cooker kernel ;)

   As to make xconfig, remember I said,
> >     As a footnote, I don't recommend usin newer kernels unless
> > you also either monitor the cooker ML, or at least check it's
> > recent archive.

   Check the cooker ML archive, I believe you'll find notice that
lately 'make xconfig' is broken, make menuconfig works
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas