This crusade against VIA is ridiculous to me.

Here at work we have about 25 computers working around, some of them are
under very heavy duty as database servers or even worse as parts of a
cluster. Approximately half of them is VIA based, even my workstation
that I'm writing this is based on a soyo dragon-raid plus mobo (VIA
KT266).

And we've had no - I repeat: NO - problems so far that could be directly
linked to the chipset. But I remember a couple of other things that made
our life hard: bad compilers (gcc 2.96, aka garbagecc), broken memory,
malfunctioning harddrives - but that was **never** related to VIA in any
reasonable way.

And if you come around and say that even VIA has a path for the IDE
driver in the kernel to work around some problems, you are simply wrong:
This patch soley enables UDMA133 on some chipsets because the
modifications did not make it yet into the current *STABLE* kernel
(guess why???).

... had to say this ...

udo