A few days ago, I got some KWrited docs popping up on my Mandrake 8.1
desktop ("Security warning: World Writeable files found" followed by a long
list of files located on both hardrives).  I am a linux newbie and assumed
the popups were the product of some kind of monitoring utility that I had
inadvertently installed.

Although I have a simple workstation setup (except for the extra partitions
and triple boot aspect to it!) and installed 8.1 with medium security, I
went
back into 8.1's control panel and re-set it to medium security and the
Kwrited
popups stopped appearing.

>From the lists of files displayed, I assumed my machine had been compromised
and that I would have to partition, reformat, reload the win98, mandrake 8.1
and Redhat 5.1 partition in order to make things right.  I downloaded
chkrootkit (and with some help from this group), ran it while booted to the
main HD/ Mandrake 8.1 just to see what was up.  Surprisingly it showed
nothing.  I'm not sure why that is.  I am not familiar with chkrootkit and
may have failed to run it so that it searched all of the drives.

Can anyone tell me how to run it to seach RH 5.1 or the win98SE partition?
Can that be done from 8.1 on the other drive as I attempted? Does it check
comprehensively or does it only check the drive/OS that it is booted to?

Secondly, is it possible that, despite the KWrited popops that occured on 2
different occasions, my machine is unnaffected?

dan