On Mon, 13 May 2002 21:05:29 -0700 (PDT)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (dfox) wrote:

> > I assume this 2Gb file size limit is a limitation within the ext2 file
> > system?  Does ext3 have this same issue?  Which file systems can handle
>
> I could be wrong, but I think you'd run up against a 2gb limit regardless
> of filesystem, because the library calls for lseek() which are used to
> position to a point in the file have capacity for only long values (4
> bytes) and 2gb is the biggest number you can put in a long (signed,
> that is). Whether support exists for unsigned long (4gb) I don't know.
>
> Anything much greater than that and one needs support for 'long long'
> (64 bit) types. I figure we won't be needing anything greater than
> that anytime soon :).
>
> > Ashley

now THIS is the kind of info i like from an Open Source based community. ;o)

by the way, my old Operating Systems book says something about Unix filesystems and
inodes,
i'm not sure at all if i recall correctly, but i think for a unix file system
the maximum file size was about 4G and the cause of this limit is the amount of inodes
you can possibly use to allocate space for a single file...

i lent my book to my girlfriend ( yea she studies the same stuff as i do ;o) so
i'm not able to check it out and say for sure.. :o/

Damian