On Tue, 14 May 2002 19:56:20 -0400
Harold Hartley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how can I install libpng3 without the conflicts with other
> apps.
> I get a conflict list with all kde 2.2.2 files and others as well as
> linuxconf.
> There are some apps I want to upgrade without breaking my system..
> I hope someone has an answer.

Though you Can successfully have both libpng2 and libpng3 installed from the manner in
which you phrased your query of upgrading "some apps" such is not a prudent course of
action because you will indubitably fall prey to shared dependencies.
App A uses libpng2 but needs the resources provided by App B which requires the libs
provided by libpng3, and then there are Apps C and D which are the reverse in needs.
Somewhere upon this tumultuous path the probability of conflicts and broken apps
become inevitability.

A wiser and less tedious course is to upgrade to 8.2, where libpng3 is the default.

    Charles