At 05:58 PM 5/17/02, you wrote:
>On Fri, 17 May 2002 15:51:14 -0400
>David Relson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with postfix and /etc/aliases.  I want mail to
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] to be forwarded to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > When I add "admin: user" to /etc/aliases and then run newaliases, I
> > see mail.mydomain.com attempt to forward the message to itself - which
> > is rejected as "(mail for mail.mydomain.com loops back to myself)".
> >
> > I'm using Mandrake 8.2 with postfix-20010228.
> >
> > Anybody know what's needed?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
>If admin has a home directory put in it a .forward file that says root
>or [EMAIL PROTECTED] either way.  I have all of roots e-mail forwarded
>to user james this way.  >
> > David

The solution called for a change in postfix/main.cf.  I needed the
following lines:

         myhostname=mydomain.com
         mydestination=mydomain.com

I didn't have the "myhostname" line and had
"mydestination=mail.mydomain.com".

I had "mail.mydomain.com" as a PTR record to the A record for
"mydomain.com".  I think that postfix didn't realize that the two names
were equivalent, so it was forwarding the message and getting into trouble.

With the above definitions, there is no need for "@mydomain.com" in
/etc/aliases and no need for .forward files.

All is fine now --- at least until I discover something else broken :-)

David