On Thu, 23 May 2002 20:52:38 -0700
James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As a routine,  there is a program called chkrootkit available at
> http://www.chkrootkit.org/  It does a check for know root kits lastlog
> deletions, strings replacement and more right now the list of
> rootkits/worms is about 30 so it's a pretty current program.  Like
> anything else it's not a cure all but every tool helps and it runs
> fast. I've got it on a daily cron job on mine.
>
> James

Opps one point I forgot if you are going to use it use the -q (quiet
only outputs if a problem) and then copy these files (from a known good
source) into a hidden directory.  egrep, find, head, id, ls, netstat,
ps, strings, sed, uname awk cut echo and ps and use the -p option to
tell it to use only these files.  That way it doesn't use ones that may
be compromised already.

James