On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 00:27, Brian Parish wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 23:19, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
> > I (and many others) have had the same probles you describe, which was
> > due to a bad installation.
> >
> > One correct installation procedure was posted by James_H_Covington on
> > the Mandrake Club (and also, but later, summarized by Mandrake in a
> > Mandrake Club web page).
> >
> > I will quote part of James' message here, in case you do not have access
> > to the Club:
> >
> > " The article I found most helpful was at
> > http://supportforum.sun.com/cgi-bin/WebX.cgi?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee9dd94
> > with the following caveat: The author said to use "setup -net" but when
> > I tried to do this I got a set of installation choices that only
> > included "modify, repair, or uninstall," even if I had just uninstalled
> > the package. I found that if I omitted the "-net" flag, the installation
> > went without a hitch.
> > The short version goes like this:
> > 1. Uninstall SO6
> > 2. Look for two files named .sversionrc and .user60.rdb (note the
> > leading dots!) and delete them if you find them (I found them in my home
> > path)
> > 3. In an xterm window, log in as root (su)
> > 4. Locate the setup file (in my 8.2 installation, this was located in
> > /usr/lib/office60_en)
> > 5. type ./setup to start the setup script
> > 6. select the local (>200MB) installation. Change the path for this
> > installation to /usr/local/staroffice6.0
> > 7. complete the installation (btw, if you don't have a Java runtime
> > environment installed, you can do so by clicking the INSTALL button on
> > the JRE screen)
> > 8. exit su mode
> > 9. execute the setup script again as a local user, and this time select
> > network installation.
> > 10. I noted in my installation that I had to browse to find the JRE that
> > had just been installed; other than that there were no more problems."
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > raffaele
> >
> This looks promising, but Raffaele, wouldn't this procedure duplicate
> the SO6 files.  i.e. You install the rpms to get them on disk, then you
> run the full install which (presumably) copies them all again, then you
> run the local install which creates a per user installation.  The last
> step requires very little storage, but the first two are 200MB or so
> each I think?  Is this really what is intended?
>
> Brian

They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so taking a
big leaf out of Jason's book....

Brian: I tend to post these responses and then think - maybe I should
have tried it out first.

List: We noticed that.  Didn't like to state the obvious.

Brian: Well, I tried it out and it seems to work!  And while it does
mean some duplication it seems to mainly create links rather than copy
the whole thing again.

List: Well of course!  Those sun guys aren't stupid after all.

Brian: I guess not, but they did make it real easy to install in a way
that screws up and there seems to be no obvious documentation to guide
you in the right direction...

List: True, but this is linux.  It's about choice remember!

Brian: Right

List: So now you are happily using StarOffice 6?

Brian: Nope.  Looked at it.  Looked at OpenOffice 1.0  Couldn't find a
reason to go away from the open alternative.  But at least I now know
that it does work.

List: zzzzzzzzzzz