On Sun, 26 May 2002 21:57:18 +0200
Wolfgang Bornath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 21:36 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> > My 2 Mandrake 8.2 boxes are connected via router/switch. Both have
> > wuftp server installed. Both ftpaccess files are identical. I can
> > ftp from boxa to boxb with ncftp or mc or even gftp, giving my
> > userid and passw. But when trying to open ftp connection from boxb
> > to boxa I get this:

> > ncftp> open boxa
> > Invalid reply: "Compiled-in modules:"
> > Could not open host boxa: invalid reply from server
> >
> > Any idea anyone?
> >
> > wobo
>
> As to the numerous advices to use proftp instead of wuftp I changed
> this and installed and activated proftpd on boxa. Now I get this:
>
> ncftp> open boxa
> Remote host has closed the connection.
> Sleeping 20 seconds....
>
> That tells me that a demon is listening at boxa but refuses to let me
> in. I also tried to log in with a valid user-id and passw like:

That's it!!! you have a demon in your box.... get it exorcised so that
the daemons can run properly! *grin*  Ok enough of the bad humor I've
been translating pidgden to English all day. (Inlaws here from Korea.)
I'd check two things msec (are the boxes set to the same level) and then
check to make sure xinetd is running.  (at least for wu-ftpd)  also with
wu-ftpd make sure that the file in /etc/xinetd.d says disable = no
instead of yes.

James