On Sunday 26 May 2002 10:52 am, Jason Guidry wrote:
> I'm still trying to get my Linksys WPC11 PCI Card to act as an access
> point on 8.2 using kernelSecure.  I finally found a driver to make the
> card use hostap mode at:
>
> http://people.ssh.com/jkm/Prism2/
>
> i successfully built the driver, but when I issue
>
> # make install
>
> i get the following
>
> Module installation directory not valid: '/lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdksmp'
> Most probable cause for this is modified kernel headers.
> You will need to install module file (driver/modules/hostap_*.o)
> manually.
> make: *** [install_check] Error 1
>
> that's fine, i'm not using smp, so i do the following as per the README:
>
> # cp hostap_pci.o /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdksecure
> # modprobe hostap_pci.o
> modprobe: Can't locate module hostap_pci.o
>
> so, I'm stuck.  Suggestions (other than give up and buy a WAP)?

You have to run depmod before trying to load the module.

/sbin/depmod -a

That should be all that you need. Then you will be able to modprobe your
special package.

Altoine B
Maximum Time Unlimited
Chicago Based and Operated
Sally:  C'mon, Ted, all I'm asking you to do is share your feelings
        with me.
Ted:    ALL?  Do you realize what you're asking?  Men aren't trained
        to share.  We're trained to protect ourselves by not
        letting anyone too close.  Good grief, if I go around
        sharing everything with you, you could hang me out to dry.
Sally:  It's called "trust," Ted.
Ted:    "Sharing"?  "Trust"?  You're really asking me to sail into
        uncharted waters here.
                -- Sally Forth
2.4.18-16mdk
Mandrake Linux release 8.3 (Cooker) for i586