On Monday 27 May 2002 12:12 am, Jason Guidry wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 23:01, nDiScReEt wrote:
> > You have to run depmod before trying to load the module.
> >
> > /sbin/depmod -a
> >
> > That should be all that you need. Then you will be able to modprobe your
> > special package.
>
> hehe....package...
>
> [root@localhost Prism2-2002-05-16]# /sbin/depmod -a
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdksecure/kernel/3rdparty/hostap_pci.o.gz
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdksecure/kernel/drivers/hostap_pci.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdksecure/kernel/hostap_pci.o
>

> grrr...and I've tried this with another version of the driver with the
> same results.  i'm now finally at the point where I can issue some
> commands on the card (after changing it's PCI slot)  but harddrake and
> drakgw don't see the card as a NIC.
>
> my laptop also sees the desktop and connects, although it cannot get to
> the internet.

Well those errors aren't surprising but it should have still loaded right? YOu
can check after running modprobe by issueing this command:

/sbin/lsmod | head -3

(You could substitute the number 3 for number 1 but I do that just in case I
get additional modules loaded like with video1394)

Ok, I take it your desktop handles connection sharing? or do you have one
chiefly as a firewall/router? Are you using ipchains or iptables? Do you know
how to configure your ip filter to do ip masquerading? If you can connect to
the desktop (That is if it is the one sharing it's internet connection), then
you need to configure your rules to allow anything connecting to your access
point (nic) to share the desktop's internet connection.

Altoine B
Maximum Time Unlimited
Chicago Based and Operated
"Ubi non accusator, ibi non judex."

(Where there is no police, there is no speed limit.)
                -- Roman Law, trans. Petr Beckmann (1971)
2.4.18-16mdk
Mandrake Linux release 8.3 (Cooker) for i586