On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 15:55 -0700, James wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2002 00:44:31 +0200
> Wolfgang Bornath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I've been following this thread from the start and now tried to
> > experiment with my harddisk. I did not find hdparm!
> >
> > I did a 'urpmi hdparm' and it installed the packages 'pciutils' and
> > 'powertweak'. But still I get 'bash: hdparm: command not found' when I
> > try to start it. slocate does not find hdparm (yes, I did updatedb).
> >
> > # slocate hdparm
> > /usr/lib/powertweak/plugins/libhdparmtweaks.so.0
> > /usr/lib/powertweak/plugins/libhdparmtweaks.so.0.0.0
> >
> > WTF?
>
> hdparm comes from hdparm-4.6-1mdk in 8.2 and should be in the /sbin
> directory.  It's not installed by default. and I believe it is on disk 2
> but I don't have my disks handy so told hold my feet to the fire on that
> part.
>
> James

No, I found it. It's in the Download Version! (CD 3 Supplement Disk). It's
nowhere in the PowerPack! So hdparm seems to be one of those unimportant
apps which got left out of the boxed versions.

Sometimes it's hard to understand what is important and what is not...

And one more thing I don't understand: When I punch in 'urpmi hdparm' I
want urpmi to install hdparm. Why didn't urpmi tell me that there is NO
hdparm? Instead it installs plugins for a program which is not really
there.

Luckily I have downloaded the ISO files before I received the box.

wobo
--
Registered Linux User 228909      Powered By Mandrake Linux 8.1
Microsoft, Windows, Bugs, Lacking Features, IRQ Conflicts, System