On Friday 21 June 2002 04:16 pm, J. Craig Woods wrote:
> Jerry Kreps wrote:
> > On Friday 21 June 2002 01:08 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've got a client who has a Windows app that runs ODBC connections to a
> > > file server.  The software company wants the client to set up a MS SQL
> > > server to supposedly fix the problems we are having.  I'm a little
> > > familiar with MySQL, but is it a direct drop-in replacement for MS'
> > > product?  I need connectivity to Win2k workstations.  Ideas?
> > >
> > > Bob
> >
> > IMO, PostgreSQL is a better, more powerful RDBMS, that includes
> > transaction tracking, commit and rollback, inheritance, etc....   It
> > includes a lot of features that MySQL only has useless stubs for.  The
> > stubs only maintain 'compatibility' with ANSI standards by not blowing up
> > if a script tries to use them.
> >
> > You won't find a 'drop-in' replacement for MS SQL (it's propriatary,
> > including formats), but IF you can export our of your old system to a tab
> > delimited or CVS file,  then you can import into PostgreSQL.
>
> I would have to ditto what Jerry has stated here. If it is an enterprise
> solution you seek for your RDBMS, MySQL most likely will come up a bit
> short. Having worked with both MS SQL and Oracle, PostgreSQL is about
> the only open source database that will come close to meeting your
> needs. You can, however, look at Oracle 8i. There is a free version for
> Linux. I forget where I downloaded the bin from but a search on google
> should reveal something.
>
> drjung

It's getting harder and harder to find.   A couple of years ago I was able to
download it and some assciated apps, like Tora, which is similar to Toad, but
not as good.  Oracle 8i is a difficult install and requires specific versions
RH libraries that may (?) be available from the RH website.   If he'll email
me privately I'll send him my address, to which he can mail a self-addressed
and appropriately stamped CD mailer.
JLK

--
JLK