Hoyt,

   The problem isn't really unique to your HW.  I've been following
various threads on unstable X installs with 8.2 for about.... well
however long 8.2 has been out.  I too experience similar problems but
I'm running a single 950Mhz Celeron on an ASUS TUSL-2 mobo.  (and yes
this is a motherboard, it has the slots to prove it.)  Graphics has been
run with either the onboard Graphics or an older Voodo graphics card (I
don't game so they all work the same for e-mail)  The reaction is the
same regardless.  What I have noticed is.

1.  prolonged idle periods tend to increase the likely hood of freeze.
2.  removing devfs improves things
3.  little or no error messaging in var/log
4.  Reboots restore everything.  (nope not even telinit 1 will work you
have to reboot)

  The problem is that I'm not yet good enough to trace the problem.  But
I am more than willing to answer questions and run tests.

James

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 01:56:17 -0400
Hoyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority