> fragmentation in memory pages.. the same little sketches i made
> would apply, but change the "file 1" and "file 2" with "process 1"
> and process 2"  )

I doubt that's a serious issue. It's kind of silly, really, since any
portion of RAM is just as quickly issued as any other. But this is
virtual memory (modern OSes) we're discussing. And virtual memory
is viewed simplistically as having some memory on some other media
(i.e., a swap partition). That is only one aspect of it. In reality,
virtual memory means that a process residing at some address N need
not really reside at address N on the RAM chips. Realisically, N is
only an offset which is maintained by the processor, with the OSes
help. One might be able to find out where a process resides physically
in the RAM if it starts at address 10000 and continues to address
20000, but it would be kind of pointless. And, if the process is
larger than a page of memory (4K) then one page might be located
way away from the others. In fact, in a continually running system,
it's practically guaranteed that this is the case.

So you end up with something like:

The 1,2,3 etc. represent processes, of course. As far as the process
(is concerned, process 1 occupies continuous virtual addresses starting
at 10000 for instance.