Praedor Tempus wrote on Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 04:33:49PM -0500 :

> Since installing 8.2, however, I have to manually remove the system's
> insistent retardation of setting /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS0 ->/dev/tts/0.  This
> does not exist on my system yet devfs does it every time.

rm -f /lib/dev-state/modem

One of the things that devfsd does when it boots up is that it restores
the contents of /lib/dev-state/* to /dev/.  Remove that file (symlink
actually) and it will quit putting it in /dev.  Then when you load the
lucent module, it will register with devfs which will then create the
LT* device(s) you need.

Blue skies...           Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because