jerry wrote:

> OK, using dist Mandrake 8.2 kernel-source-2.4.18-6mdk.i586 (from the rpm on dist cd)
> AND Athlon thunderbird cpu, ASUS VIA/PROMISE motherboard (2 built-in usb, serial,
>agp, pci cards, p/s2 mouse, no ISA slots) agp voodoo3 videocard, dlink usb card
>(bought seperate.. going to remove since it's worth about as much as a good stomach
>pump) Avance Logic ALS4000 soundcard (needs alsa driver) CNET Ethernet card (driver
>is either tulip or dmfe.  disk with card has dmfe so i'm not sure if it's using tulip
>for eth0 or usb but it's used for something...)  canon bjc parallell printer (but not
>used often so usually not installed)
>
> steps taken:
>
> 1)take current kernel tree (/usr/srs/linux) rename it so it doesn't get overwritten.
>(changed to /usr/src/lin)
> 2)urpmi the kernel-source.
> 3)coompile:  first: make xconfig.
>              using docs from all my hardware and howtos on linux (kernel, sound,
>              HOWTO, etc) enable support / modules keeping undeeded drivers
>              out.
> 4)make dep.
> 5) make clean
> 6) make bzImage
> 7)make modules
> 8)make modules install.
> 9)copy bzImage from /usr/src/linux/arch/... to /boot  (haven't used make bzlilo
>yet.. does it work?  work better?)
> 10) lilo conf.
>
> HISTORY:  I've gotten the kernel sucessfully compiled (albeit incorrectly) once but
>messed up the lilo and hosed a good part of my HD.. reinstalled.  Took a few weeks
>off to learn lilo specific info.  (the first thing you do with your new penguin is
>think you can just walk right in and rebuild the kernel?  oh.  ok.  lol)

Jerry:
It appears that you want to use a new kernel source and you want to
change some kernel options. Of course why compile it unless you want to
change something.

May I suggest that you compile the kernel as a learning experience and
then after you are comfortable compiling the kernel then make your
changes.

You can compile your kernel again without destorying the current kernel.
In the original /usr/src/linux edit file "Makefile" and change the line
(4th line down) that reads 'EXTRAVERSION = -6mdk' to 'EXTRAVERSION =
-jerry1' This will create a kernel with the suffix '-jerry1' and leave
your current kernel just the way it was.

Now do:
make distclean (or make mrproper) [distclean cleans a few more files.
Either of these two will also delete
                                   /usr/src/linux/.config*. So if you
have something in it that you wish to
                                   save, copy it to .Config. But
deleting .config is no problem.
The                                           orginal config file is
still in /usr/src/linux directory tree and
'make                                     menuconfig' will copy it back
to .config. Use this config file as
it                                        will have the orginal
configuration from mandrake and the kernel
should                                     compile and run correctly.

make menuconfig                    Make no changes. Just press the right
arrow key to exit and save the
                                   configuration file

make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install                You must be root starting here
make install

The last step (make install) will create a new entry in lilo.conf
pointing to the new kernel(the one with -jerry1 on the end). It will
also change the symbolic link 'vmlinuz' so it now points to the new
kernel. So you can boot linux with the OLD kernel (in case the new one
does not work), change the symbolic link back to pointing to the OLD
kernel. Use the commands:

rm vmlinuz
ln -s vmlinux-2.4.18-6mdk vmlinuz

Check lilo.conf and make sure it looks OK. and then execute lilo. This
step is very important as the system may not boot if you don't do it.

Now shut down the system and reboot it. Select the new kernel and hope
for the best. If it fails, just boot from the old kernel.

After you are comfortable compiling the kernel then try making your
changes.

Good luck
Charles