Quick way to check for a rootkit.   urpmi chkrootkit. Then when it's
installed run it. Note...... if the hacker is sophisticated at all they
may have changed your ls and other basic utilties.  If chrootkit comes
up negative, and you want to be positive about the results, go to
another box that you know to be secure, and copy the following files
into a directory .chkrootkit/bin

awk  cut  echo  egrep  find  head  id  ls  netstat  ps  sed  strings
uname

(remember get ones from a box you know isn't' compromised)  cp or ln -s
your chkrootkit binaries into this your .chkrootkit directory they are

check_wtmpx  chklastlog  chkproc  chkrootkit  chkwtmp  ifpromisc
strings

To run this they all need to be in the same directory together.  make
sure everything is at least 700 in permissions then run.

cd /location/of/chkrootkit/.chkrootkit/
./chkrootkit -q -p /location/of/directory/.chkrootkit/bin (has to be
full path name)

the q means run quiet and supress unneeded reporting to the screen
the p means use the utilities in this directory only.

 If they every again break into your box you can be pretty dang
confident they won't know about or change these utilities.  Just to be
sure I added to /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron the path to my .chkrootkit
directory so that a locate command doesn't show it as existing.

At this point if it shows clean you probably don't have a root kit ....
but you may be rooted.  Change ALL passwords immediately. Then start
checking other ways for crackers to get in.  I highly recommend running
this as a cronjob at least daily.  It may not hit everything but it will
check the most common kiddy tools.

Then take this IP number put it in  /etc/ftpaccess and deny access to
the ipnumber or block if you'd like.  (see man ftpaccess for more info)
This will for the moment block that IP from ftp access. (it won't stop
it forever but it will give you time to do a more complete check.)

Last .. once you are sure you are buttoned up again, and are sure the
box is resecured.  Install tripwire or some other detection tool.  It's
worth it.

James

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:49:31 -0500
David Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority