[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hello All:
>  I've been running my new ECS K7S5A for a couple weeks now with great
>  results, except for a couple little details:
>
>1)  Framebuffer console does not work.  I've tried using the VESA fb and
>  the Rive/GeForce fb from the stock Mandrake kernel but it still gives
>  only 640x480 (80x25). I do get the boot Mandrake logo but it doesn't
>  change anything if I specify "vga=788" or "vga=791".
>
>2) If I switch to a console the X server hangs. The machine is still
>  alive but at minimum I need to restart X to get back the display.
>
>  I can live for now without the fb console, but the X-session hang is a
>  show-stopper. I'm using the most recent NVidia drivers and the
>  2.4.18-6 kernel from Mandrake 8.2.
>
>Thanks for any tips.
>Kwan

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Well, it sounds like you are using the latest commercial NVidia drivers.

Framebuffer is not well supported by NVidia or their drivers.  All I see
on booting framebuffer with an NForce chipset is the blue bar along the
bottom, though framebuffer worked outstandingly for the install.  With
XFree drivers I get good framebuffer results except when switching out
to console where the vga= has been lost.

This isn't apparently a fixable problem without some better tech info
from NVidia.

Civileme