On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Praedor Tempus wrote:

> I have a setup question in getting a home network going.
> I have a desktop system which connects to the net by dialup (at the moment). I
> have a PCI-to-PCMCIA adaptor for a pcmcia wlan card and a USB wlan -
> whichever I can get working first stays.
>
> I also have a laptop with a wlan card.  What I want to do is have the desktop
> act as an access point for my laptop and then have the laptop/desktop share
> the modem connection to the net.
>
> My question regards gateway and gateway device.
>
> I think I understand this but can someone help me?  On the desktop, the
> connection is, as stated, via /dev/modem.  Do I leave the gateway address
> alone and set gateway device to /dev/modem?  Do I leave both alone?

Praedor,

If you're setting up a home Lan for the first time _the_ best way to get
it going and setup connection sharing is to use the wizards in Mandrake
Control Center. that way you'll get an idea of how thing should go without
having to fight with the machine trying to figure things out on your own.
when the system is setup and working then check your config files and see
where and how everything is done. again, all the files that are involved
are in /etc/sysconfig/.

> On the laptop I assume I just set gateway to the IP of the wlan card on the
> desktop (the access point) which is 10.0.0.1.  Do I leave gateway device
> unset/alone or do I set it to wlan0 (or eth0 as the case may be)?

since your inet interface is goin to be a modem you won't have to do
anything with that other then tell the wizard that it is the interface
connecting to the internet. the lan that you're going to configure is eth0
and should have an address similar to something like this:

        192.168.0.1  <-- this is the number for the gateway/firewall (LAN)

your inet interface is of course assigned by your ISP via dhcp so there
isn't anything you need to set for that. just tell the wizard that you get
you inet address via dhcp and you want to connect when machine boots up.

the wizard will want to setup the dns server "named". this is a good thing
and you should allow this to take place. the dns server's address *must*
be

        192.168.0.2

you will also need to install all the packages needed to run dhcp on your
gateway machine so that all the other machines on your LAN can connect to
and share the gateway's inet connection. the wizard will likely take care
of this and prompt you to install these packages. for Linux to Linux
there's no need for a client with which to connect to the gateway. when
you setup the ethernet on the client machine you simply tell the machine
that it's gateway IP address is 192.168.0.1. you then list the dns servers
where it can get dns. your ISP's primary and secondary dns ip addresses
should be first and then your local dns server should be last.

thats a basic run down on how this all happens. if you're still a little
unclear as to how this all comes together just keep the questions
coming, however give the setup wizard a try first and see how far you can
get.

> Finally, a question on another matter.  Is there anyone in the list with a DSL
> account (dynamic, not static IP) that also makes use of dynamic dns services
> (dydns)?  If so, how do you set THAT up?  I assume you have a DSL

actually praedor, I have cable, and even though I have a static address I
still use my dyndns.org account so that my machine has inet dns and I
don't have to worry with all the hastles of dns. it's very easy to setup
and once you get the network running we can talk about that. no sense in
chewing all this stuff up all at once cause setting up the network can be
nerve racking at times. let me know how you make out.

--
daRmaTTeR

R L U: #186492
When ever people annoy me I remember, "Vengence is mine saith the Lord."
My prayer is, "...here am I Lord...send me!"