Praedor Tempus wrote:

>I have a setup question in getting a home network going.
>I have a desktop system which connects to the net by dialup (at the moment). I
>have a PCI-to-PCMCIA adaptor for a pcmcia wlan card and a USB wlan -
>whichever I can get working first stays.
>
>I also have a laptop with a wlan card.  What I want to do is have the desktop
>act as an access point for my laptop and then have the laptop/desktop share
>the modem connection to the net.
>
>My question regards gateway and gateway device.
>
>I think I understand this but can someone help me?  On the desktop, the
>connection is, as stated, via /dev/modem.  Do I leave the gateway address
>alone and set gateway device to /dev/modem?  Do I leave both alone?
>
>On the laptop I assume I just set gateway to the IP of the wlan card on the
>desktop (the access point) which is 10.0.0.1.  Do I leave gateway device
>unset/alone or do I set it to wlan0 (or eth0 as the case may be)?
>
>Finally, a question on another matter.  Is there anyone in the list with a DSL
>account (dynamic, not static IP) that also makes use of dynamic dns services
>(dydns)?  If so, how do you set THAT up?  I assume you have a DSL
>router/modem that probably runs a NAT network for your system(s).  If this is
>the case, how do you get dydns updated with your IP address?  If your DSL
>router assigns your system address 10.0.0.5, then obviously updating dydns
>with that IP will fail and I doubt there is a client app that can be loaded
>on a DSL router that will keep dydns updated...or is there?
>
>praedor

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Whoa, take a coffeeless break.

gateway device will be like ppp0 for the desktop and eth0/wlan0 for the
laptop.

Now with DSL I use the sharing (masquerading) computer as the router and
the DSL modem without any routing.  For dynamic, I take a domain I own
and point to some nameservers that will let me update them on a 5-minute
basis.  "Crackerjack" does this (used to be for free, but now $4 per
year per domain) at http://www.whyi.org.  He also supplies a dandy Perl
script that does the updating of your current IP address for your
domain.  But you don't need DSL for this--it also works on modems, both
of the cable and telephone kind.

These days, I subscribe to a cable service which adds a static IP plus
double speed on uploads and downl;oads for $10/month extra.  I was using
DSL but I was paying $50/month more for the same level of service, and a
lower transfer limit, and I had more vendors in the mix, like the local
telephone company which managed to hardwire me to the wrong VLAN and
took more than a week to fix it (I don't know how much more because I
was on cable before they fixed it).  I am sure the ISP that was offering
DSL wasn't too happy because they lost more than 50 customers in that
period.

Civileme