What services are running? Are you running NIS? If so are you a client
of a server?

Also, are you running a firewall of any kind?

Does the IP address on your machine match the name on your machine? (Do
you call your machine monkey.foorbar.com but cannot do a dns lookup?)

Also, how large is your log files? the delay might be the logging of a
succesful login to files that take to long to append too...

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology