It was not the fact that I was getting less than 80GB, it was the fact that
diskdrake was reporting to me that I was using 96% of the drive when I told
it to use 100%.  (it does not matter what the size it reports, 100% is 100%)
Also, the problem was that, although I could make partitions, I could not
format them....

The problem was that the drive was set to do maximum sector transfers in the
bios.  Linux did not seem to like that.  When the bios was set to allow 32
sector transfers, everything was fixed.

It must be the IDE code in the kernel has a problem with sector transfers of
greater than 32 with this particular drive.

best regards

Dalton