I just upgraded my machine from a k6-2 400 with a super 7 board to a
ahtlon 1700xp with a kt333 board and now my system is mucho unstable.
It's gotten to the point where I am very frustrated with Mandrake and
even wondering about how good Linux really is.  After years (I started
before the kernel was up to 1.0) of supporting Linux, I have watched
windows become easier to use and more stable.  Windows XP installs new
drivers for me without even asking me for anything.  It just works.  But
I love the power of Linux and the applications.

Here's the list of my problems.

1. When I shutdown, it goes through the normal routine and then tells me
to power the machine down.  Before the upgrade, it would power down the
machine for me....now I have manually use the power button.

2. No sound.  I am still working on this one.  sndconfig is useless.  It
finds my sound card and then tries to play a sound.  It cant so it just
hangs there and I never get to actually configure the sound  card to fix
the problem.  That's pretty pathetic for a real os....the config tool
wont config!

3. CD burning on my scsi plextor is now very unstable.  I have to burn
at 1x or the burn fails.  The burner is the only device in the scsi
chain.  The scsi card is sharing an IRQ  with 2 ethernet cards and the
sound card but of source I cant configure the sound card (see above) to
change the IRQ.

These are not the problems users should put up with from a real
operating system.   This is mickey mouse stuff.  Like I said before, I
run windows XP on my other system...I add new hardware, it configures it
for me, no problem.  I don't mind configuring hardware myself but as you
can see above, I would if I could.

In conclusion, I think the lesson learned here is:

When upgrading major hardware components such as motherboards, REINSTALL
the operating system.  It's sad but at least with Mandrake 8.2, it's
true.

Darren