> Anyone know any reason why I should NOT go buy a Travan, IDE ATAPI-base
tape drive and use it for Mandrake?

I always found them to be a pain to use.
Getting them to work right is the first hurdle. Seemed like I was constantly
messing with it.
Even once it was running, it was slow. Real slow, and not so reliable.
Then there's the cost of the tapes. By the time you stock a decent backup
library, you've spent a fortune on tapes. I seem to remember them costing in
the neighborhood of $65 a piece!

SCSI DAT is a much better way to go. Faster, quieter, more reliable, and the
tapes are FAR less expensive.
Overall, if you run the numbers, you'll find that the total cost of
ownership of a DAT drive is actually cheaper than a Travan. Even though they
cost more initially, the savings comes in the media.

JMHO-YMMV

Ric