Charles A Edwards wrote:

> kernel-headers Was Not apart of glibc prior to 8.2
>
> kernel-2.4.18.8.2 was an update kernel built specifically for 8.0 and
> done on an 8.0 system.

Absolutely correct, and that is why I was going to use it. I have
upgraded my 8.0 kernel once in the past so it is not the stock install
kernel. It is currently upgraded to version kernel-2.4.8-31.2mdk. I
think, until some one from mandrake chimes in, I will leave it at this
level.

> Since there is no update kernel-header rpm I can only assume that it is
> built to work with
> the stock 8.0 kernel-header.
> An easy test it to see if you can build the NVIDIA_kernel.src.rpm.
> If you can then everything with is OK.

The point you make is exactly why it would be nice to hear from mandrake
about the issue of compatibility between new kernel upgrade, and if this
new kernel can use headers from an older kernel package. At this time, I
do not feel much like hacking around on a laptop system, especially one
that I spent considerable time hacking on to get pcmcia services to work
nicely.

> Putting kernel-headers in glibc was not a Mandrake thing.
> This is an across the board change that will affect all distros.
> Mandrake 8.2 and RH 7.3 are already at this level, I have no first hand
> knowledge of any of the others, so I can not speak to their current
> releases.
> But they too, unless they choose to say dead in the water, will change
> since providing an update glibc and kernel packages will require it.

I do *now* understand this much better, and that is in no small part due
to your excellent and very helpful replies, Charles, and et al. There is
still no excuse, that I can think of, for mandrake not to make headers
files for a kernel version that has not yet moved into the new kernel
methodology. Just my two cents worth...

Thanks to all that helped,
drjung

--