From: Dean S. Messing [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 2:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] kde and xinerama question

Thanks Teemu, for your comments.

Teemu Torma writes:
 :: I am running 8.2 with xinerama, and it worked out of the box with kde
 :: 3.0.2 packages.  The X configurator asked me if I wanted xinerama
 :: version or just plain screen (Matrox G550).
 ::
 :: The boxes are of course grayed out if the xinerama is not enabled on
 :: the server itself.  In kde xinerama options only tell the window
 :: manager to be aware of xinerama and make more intelligent window
 :: placement decisions.
 ::
 :: Even without that, you should be have two screens up and running and =
 :: you should be able to move windows across the two screens at will.
 ::
 :: Teemu

Although (as I've stated) I do have xinerama properly working (from
X's point of view), i.e., I can move windows across the two screens just
fine,
it is precisely your 2nd paragraph that is the subject of my problems:
intelligent use of xinerama by KDE.

I've also read in my far-and-wide search for solutions that KDE-3.0.2
plays better with xinerama than 2.2.2.  I've considered (for a second
or two) trying to build 3.0.2 from .src.rpm packages but am a little
afraid (well, actually, _very_ afraid) of screwing up my current 2.2.2
configuration in an irreparable way if I try to install 3.0.2 on a
2.2.2 machine.

Care to share what you did to get 3.0.2 to work on Mdk 8.2?
Pointing me to a (useful) document would be sufficient but if you'd
care to share

  --  exactly which packages use compiled or installed from .rpm,
  --  whether you deleted your stock 2.2.2 installation or are running
      3.0.2 "in parallel",

and other details of this ilk, I'd be much obliged.

Dean