The POP3 service comes disabled as a default. Did you delete or comment
out the "disable = yes" line in /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3 to enable the pop3
service?

You need to restart the xinetd service with "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"
or send the send the xinetd process a SIGUSR2 signal for the change to
take effect. A reboot works too.

Seth