Use something like zebedee to tunnel your mail ports (in my case 25 for
sending and 143 for imap) and feed that through httptunnel if you get
firewall problems - that way if you use the tunnel, the mail IS to all
intents coming from your home machine.

Great for laptops that travel, but cannot use the local mailserver!  In
my case a work account, and my home accounts from a 3rd (and 4th ...)
location with NT domains, but I dont want to add my machine to the
domain.  Also the mail is encrypted between your local and remote ends
via the tunnel which is nice if you dont trust the path.

BillK