J Herzfeld wrote:

> My system  (8.2) brings up KDE on boot up.
> I'd rather it would stop at the console and not start up KDE or
> Gnome or anything.

Edit the file /etc/inittab

[mrambo@mrambo mrambo]$ more /etc/inittab
#
# inittab       This file describes how the INIT process should set up
#               the system in a certain run-level.
#
# Author:       Miquel van Smoorenburg, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#               Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing and Donnie Barnes
#

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

<snip>

change it to