Thanks for the input James.  I've actually tried some of the stuff that
you mentioned.  When I experience the problem, the CPU isn't being taxed
in any way.  Also, the mount point for the share is not removed and
cannot be removed because the system thinks that the directory is
already mounted (busy).  Restarting Samba doesn't change this status at
all.  As I said earlier, it most likely is not a Samba problem.  It
seemed to be more of a problem in the kernel, as that is where I expect
filesystem mounting is tracked, etc.

Rob