Hi Todd,

Actually, if smbd is responsible for inbound smb requests, then it
probably isn't relevant.  My problem occurs when I connect to a Windows
machine from my Mandrake machine, and then lose the network connection
between them (power loss, windows machine removed from network, routing
problems, etc.).  But the real problem doesn't occur until after
restarting the Samba daemons when the network connection is broken.  I
know, the easiest way to fix this problem is to avoid restarting Samba.
 But, I am really only using that example to demonstrate what I believe
is a bigger problem, but whether or not it occurs with a generic kernel
or a Mandrake one, I do not know (yet).

Also, using 'umount -f' does not work after the Samba restart.  Whether
it works prior to that, I'm not sure (haven't had time to check).  The
following is a clip from a script capture trying it out (along with a
few other things):

----------------------------------

bash-2.05# mount | grep smbfs
//RGILLEN/shared on /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared type smbfs (0)

bash-2.05# ls /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared
ls: /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared: Input/output error

bash-2.05# umount -f /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: //RGILLEN/shared: not found
umount: /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared: Illegal seek

bash-2.05# umount -l /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared

bash-2.05# mount | grep smbfs
//RGILLEN/shared on /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared type smbfs (0)

bash-2.05# umount -f /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared
umount2: Invalid argument
umount: //RGILLEN/shared: not found
umount: /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared: Illegal seek

bash-2.05# rmdir /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared/

bash-2.05# umount -f /home/borgille/mnt/RGILLEN/shared
umount2: No such file or directory