David Guntner wrote:

>civileme grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
>
>>David Guntner wrote:
>>
>>>I've edited /etc/sudoers to allow group wheel to execute all command, and I
>>>made sure that my "regular user" account is part of that group.  Then I
>>>type something really simple like "sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog".  It then
>>>prompts me for a password.  No matter what password I put in (even when I
>>>put in the root password), it tells me the password is wrong.
>>>
>>>So, what the heck password does sudo want from me? :-)
>>>
>>It wants the password for your user...
>>

>The password for WHAT user?  If I do "sudo {some command}," doesn't it try
>to run {some command} as root?  I thought that was kind-of the idea? :-)
>I've tried putting in the root password, but it doesn't take that, although
>I can su to root all day with that same password.
>
>>But on to another question, what did you edit sudoers with?  I hope it
>>was visudo, because nothing else is likely to produce proper results.
>>

>Yes.  I looked at sudoers first, and noticed the comment at the top of the
>file saying that it needed to be edited with visudo.  So I used that
>program to edit the file.
>
>                    --Dave

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

sudo is a per-user type gateway to (possibly limited) programs that
normally run as root.

when you sudo it will ask for the USER password (your current logged user)

Then it willl give you a 5-minute window of (possibly limited) root
privileges.  There would be no point in asking for the root passwrod,
because su does that and gives an unlimited window to all root privs.

And if the user isn't authorized in sudoers, it sends mail to root,
reporting the incident

Civileme