Well, I finally got around to reading the msec man pages and
mandrakesecure.net article, and have made some changes.  Something that's
behaving a bit weird, however, is a couple of the parameters.  In my
level.local file, I have:

from mseclib import *

allow_reboot(1)
allow_user_list(1)
enable_at_crontab(1)
authorize_services(ALL)
password_aging(-1)
set_shell_timeout(0)
set_user_umask(022)

Now, when I run msec, I see the following messages:

msec: unable to parse chage output
msec: unable to parse chage output
msec: unable to parse chage output
msec: unable to parse chage output
msec: unable to parse chage output

Although the syslog seems to indicate that it's dealing with user
passwords.  The other odd thing is that when I run it, the syslog reports
that it's setting the umask for users to 18.  18??  And of course, when I
open a shell window in my X console, I get a message from the shell, from
umask, informing me that '18' is not an octal number between 000 and 777.
Now, I very clearly see "set_user_umask(022)" in my level.local file.
*How* is it coming up with "18?"

               --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!