Boy does this bring back the memories! [sits back and has fond memories
of his old Amiga Toaster]

*sigh*

And yes, Babylon 5 and Reboot were primarily done on old off-the-shelf
(well, at least as "off-the-shelf as you can get with a computer that
you have to have a couple laying around of for spare parts) Amiga boxes
(primarily 4000's) running Lightwave. Lightwave 3D, interestingly
enough, was originally written for the Amiga, and is now the de-facto
standard for 3D on most platforms.

If any of you remember the initially good (and degrading to horribly
bad) SeaQuest series, the special effects and all underwater sequences
were rendered using Lightwave on Amiga's. The company that did Reboot,
Mainframe Entertainment, also did the short-lived War Planets (which was
surprisingly good and had a very sophisticated plotline...kind of a
"Titan AE" tv precursor) and the current 3D incarnations of
Transformers. Whether or not Mainframe still uses Toasters I don't know,
but I do know that Netter Digital still does.

Rumor even has it that there's a whole room full of them over at ILM
that their 3D people do a lot of their protyping on...but that's just
rumor. Gateway was even going to release a new version of the Amiga OS
for a while...they worked on it for more than 2 years and then killed
the project just a couple months before BeOS went under.

And while we're on the other-than-linux OS front...rumor is rife
(although unconfirmed yet) that next summer's MacWorld is going to be
one to watch. Jaguar got finished early because Apple supposedly hired
*alot* more programmers, who haven't been laid off now that OS X 10.2 is
done. The prevailing rumor, which one can almost believe outright based
on Apple's hardware moves over the last year-and-a-half, is that all
these extra programmers were brought in to write hardware drivers for
the OSX port to Intel hardware. It wouldn't be available for at least
another year yet, and the hardware would be limited, but it's possible.
Of course, Palm could always enter the fray too, since it owns Be lock,
stock, and barrel.

Well, enough of that for one night, I think. :)

Jon  8^)