I have used Mandrake from version 7.1 and have never had problems installing.
I have used this box with 8.0 and 8.1 with great success. Over the last few
weeks I have tried version 8.2 and cannot get it to work reliably. Many times
it fails durning the install wether I do graphical or text. Generally during
the package installation the machine locks up. If I manage to get it
installed whenever I do a major install/upgrade like Ximian-Gnome or an
upgrade to KDE 3 the machine locks up while installing. Might their be a
piece of hardware that 8.2 or the default kernel does not like?

 Abit KG7 (non-raid)
- AMD761/VIA 686B Chipset
- AMD 1.3 Ghz CPU
- NVidia Geforce2 MX PCI Vid card (using nv driver no upgrade to GLX/Nvidia
driver)
- 3Com 905 NIC
- Soundblaster Live Value
- 256 MB DDR