Todd Lyons wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote on Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:04:16PM -0400 :
>
>>>So ("thinking on paper"), something like:
>>
> <snip>
>
>>>              if count <= maxtries (wow, do I forget valid syntax ;-) )
>>>                 then
>>>                    wait 30 (??) (give the modem a chance to connect)
>>>                    goto start
>>>                 else
>>>                    issue "Internet connection lost, could not restart"
>>>message (somewhere)
>>>              fi
>>
> <snip>
>
>>>I'll need to brush up on bash syntax and so forth, and if I'm clever I
>>>might get rid of the goto.
>>
>>it is written: "thou shalt NOT use a GOTO...ever!" ;) The force fed us
>>that in assembler and COBOL classes till I thought it was gonna come
>>outa my ears.
>

> [root@fiji /usr/src/linux/kernel]# grep "goto.*\;$" * | wc -l
>     187
>
> Comments? :)  Don't tell me Linus doesn't know anything about c now :)
>
> Blue skies...                 Todd

Todd,

don't know what goto's are like in C, but they suck in mainframe
Assembler and COBOL. looking at older code it gets so bad sometimes
depending on the author that it's easier just to rewrite the stinkin thing.

--
daRmaTTeR

Reg. Linux User #186492
"Stupidity has no moral high ground...it can't see that high!"