Lonnie.

  If you are looking to get that small embedded Linux will carry you
further than any of the desktop dirsto's.  At that size you are not
going to be dealing with the same needs as you would with a full
desktop. The /bin directory alone is larger than what you need. (6.8
megs) Peanut Linux Pee Wee Linux and MicroWindows or Tiny X will start
to get you down to the small footprint you need.  Busybox isn't a distro
but it does allow you to have /bin /sbin and all of your base utilities
in under 600k  The other thing to look at is do you really need the 2.4
kernel?  2.0 kernel is still around and it's current.  And very well may
provide you with all the features you need, at about half the size or
less. But if you do need the 2.4 kernel in the early days of Embedded
Linux Magazine Bruce Perens did a 3 part series on building a floppy
based Linux using BusyBox and 2.4.  You can access the archives via
www.linuxjournal.com.  Take that add Tiny Login (he covers that) and one
of the small windowing systems I mentioned and you could easily be under
the 10 meg limit you need.

James