Ok one box 4 distro's

Mandrake 8.2
Mandrake 9.0beta 4
RedHat 7.3
SuSe 8.0

In my never ending quest to find out why 8.2 crashes so often I've run
across this ...

Mandrake 8.0 claims I have only 4096K of video ram
Mandrake 9.0 claims I have only 16384k of video ram

RedHat and Suse both see the full 6554k of video ram.

The video is via an Intel i815 chipset onboard video from an ASUS TUSL2
motherboard. In BIOS Video Ram is set to 6554k as is recognized by SuSe
and RedHat.  What gives.  If I manually adjust XF86Config-4 in either
Mandrake distro to the correct number ... X will not start.  It simply
respawns until the system decides to stop it. The only error message is
that X is respawning too fast.  When I set it back ... It works just
fine.  The result is that under Mandrake I can only get 16 bit color and
3d acceleration bites. In RH and SuSe it sings and 32bit color at 1280 x
1084 is fine. I've tried installing and telling it mem=448M (512 - 64)
but it still insists I have only the smaller amount. Any thoughts?

James

PS I'm running 4.xx XFree86 with the SVGA server in all 4 distro's